Monday, March 5, 2007

stuck in a wrong job?

I am working as a "software engineer + technical lead + manager", in one of the fastest growing and technically oriented company which has only 4K employees worldwide and has revenue of over 4 billion. I am one of the best paid engineer of my age group and industry experience. Doesn't it sounds great ??

In spite of all these good things I sometime question myself for the career path i have chosen. I have been working really hard from past 1-1.5 years to increase my technical capabilities. I am literally not doing anything else except office work. But my job requires a lot more technical knowledge and experience which means I will have to slog for next 5-6 years to reach some level or may be little more. Am I ready for all this? This needs patience and long exhausting march of hard work.

I sometimes feel that this does not goes with my personality. Are my skills and interests fit my current work? Are my career goals realistic with this organization? These are some of the question I will have to answer soon to make a good career choice. I have probably reached a stage when I am not sure of what i want and what are the opportunities and even what is appropriate. Probably, dissatisfaction with possession and achievements is required for further achievements.

5 comments:

dhavalsays said...

nice to see your blog buddy..

hmmm no one else in the world other then me can understand the pain & dielemma in which you are stucked. I still remember old days in nvidia (1 yr back) where 2 fresh professionals (with less then 2 yr exp) were given a responsibilities to handle "D3D team" in pune. (During initial days when Kartik asked me to choose one of the teams from "D3D" & "RM", D3D quite intrigued me & thought its all about cool graphics & visual stuff !! Ahhh but then realized its cool only when u view it but becomes complementry when you program it!!) 2 commarades fighting hard to meet expectations of those gr8 coding czars, standing firm at Dongyi's shouting, working late in night shifts.. That was an amazing experience. now about your dielemma as far as I know you are a very good leader so for initial few yrs stay focused on coding & then gradually move to managerial tasks & there u'll achieve gr8 feets!!

Best luk for your future dude!!

Jeet said...

Dood its okie.. you are doing alright. Idhar aao to batiyate hain :)

Vivek Kumar said...

Hmm.. welcome to the world of confusion! As I was discussing it with Jeet sometime back.. we all seem to have the same problems of having to make choices.

drakheja said...

I feel that sometimes we know the answer to our confusedness. It is up to us to look deep inside ourselves and make the choice. Only time can tell whether you made the right choice or not.....

Unknown said...

Ur in luck..I found a vacancy in a striptease joint in Mumbai..They are looking for a manager. I couldn’t think of a more suitable person to manage it.. R u interested??